Possible US indictment of former Cuban president Raul Castro in coming days: Sources

The investigation centered around the 1996 shootdown of plans.

The US could announce a possible criminal indictment of former Cuban president Raul Castro in the coming days, sources familiar with the matter said.

The investigation, which is being done in the Southern District of Florida, has centered around the 1996 shootdown of plans that were operated by the humanitarian group, Brothers to the Rescue.

News of a potential indictment would come as President Donald Trump seeks to turn his attention to Cuba.

In this Feb. 1, 2016, file photo, Cuban President Raul Castro attends an agreement signing ceremony with the French president after a meeting at the Elysee Presidential Palace in Paris.

Etienne Laurent/AFP via Getty Images, FILE

Earlier this month, Trump said that after the operation in Iran, «Cuba is going to be next,» and that the US will be «taking over Cuba almost immediately.»

Popular Reads

Cuban Foreign Minister Bruno Rodriguez has warned that the United States is on a «dangerous path» that could lead to a «bloodbath in Cuba» in response to Trump’s continued rhetoric about taking over the country. Rodriguez said there has been «no progress» in talks between the two countries.

In a sit-down interview with ABC News’ Whit Johnson in Havana earlier this month, Rodriguez said he takes Trump’s threats «very seriously,» and that Cuba will «exercise its right for its legitimate defense» if attacked militarily.

So far, the Trump administration has relied on economic tactics to pressure Cuba, including a blockade earlier this year cutting off Havana’s access to foreign oil shipments, including those from Venezuela.

CIA director John Ratcliffe met with Cuban officials in Havana this week. The agency said the US is prepared to engage with Cuba on economic and security issues, but only if Cuba makes fundamental changes.

Sponsored Content by Taboola

Drafting

Fountain: Read original article

Desde Vive multimedio digital de comunicación y webs de ciudades claves de Argentina y el mundo; difundimos y potenciamos autores y otros medios indistintos de comunicación. Asimismo generamos nuestras propias creaciones e investigaciones periodísticas para el servicio de los lectores.

Sugerimos leer la fuente y ampliar con el link de arriba para acceder al origen de la nota.

 

Incidentes tras el escándalo de los certificados truchos en una clínica de La Matanza: «No supieron leer el electro»

Paola Gorosito es la mujer de Damián Navarro, el hombre que este miércoles protagonizó una pelea con trabajadores de...

Nación dice que «814 niños» esperan prótesis bonaerenses para poder ser operados en el Garrahan

El Ministerio de Salud denunció demoras acumuladas desde 2022 en la entrega de prótesis para más de 800 pacientes...

El cuadro robado por los nazis podría exhibirse al público en Buenos Aires

Durante 80 años estuvo oculto. Hasta que apareció colgado en una pared de un chalet en venta en Mar...
- Advertisement -spot_img

DEJA UNA RESPUESTA

Por favor ingrese su comentario!
Por favor ingrese su nombre aquí