ICE agent charged in nonfatal shooting of Venezuelan immigrant in Minneapolis

The federal agent, Christian Castro, faces five counts, prosecutors said.

Minnesota prosecutors on Monday announced charges against a US Immigration and Customs Enforcement agent in the nonfatal shooting of a Venezuelan man in Minneapolis earlier this year.

The federal agent, Christian Castro, was charged with four counts of second-degree assault and one count of falsely reporting a crime in the Jan. 14 shooting of Julio Sosa-Celis, according to the Hennepin County attorney.

«Mr. Castro fired his service weapon at the front door of the home, knowing there were people who had just run inside that presented absolutely no threat to him or anyone else,» Hennepin County Attorney Mary Moriarty said during a news conference Monday.

According to Moriarty, the bullet struck Sosa-Celis in the leg, passed through a closet and lodged in the wall of a child’s bedroom. She added that Castro was not under any physical threat when he opened fire and that claims from government officials that he had been struck with a shovel or broom were false.

«There is no such thing as absolute immunity for federal officers who commit crimes in this state or any other,» Moriarty said. «A violent crime did occur that night, but it was Mr. Castro who committed it.»

A spokesperson for ICE called the charges a «political stunt» but also said officers involved are being investigated by the US attorney’s office for «lying under oath» and may «face disciplinary action, including termination of employment, as well as potential criminal prosecution.»

According to the criminal complaint, the confrontation began when Castro and other ICE agents chased a man who was delivering food for DoorDash back to his house.

The badge of Immigration and Customs Enforcement agent is seen at the immigration court at the Ted Weiss Federal Building, May 12, 2026 in New York City.

Michael M. Santiago/Getty Images

The complaint states that security footage shows that Castro tackled the driver after he jumped out of his car and was running toward his home, which he shared with Sosa-Celis. Another resident then separated the two men and was able to get inside the house with the driver.

Popular Reads

According to the complaint, video evidence shows Castro then fired a single gunshot through the closed front door and hit Sosa-Celis in the right leg.

Four adults and two children were inside the home at the time of the gunfire, the complaint states. Following the shooting, ICE agents deployed tear gas, breached the residence, and took the occupants into custody.

Bail for Castro was set at $200,000.

Sponsored Content by Taboola

Drafting

Fountain: Read original article

Desde Vive multimedio digital de comunicación y webs de ciudades claves de Argentina y el mundo; difundimos y potenciamos autores y otros medios indistintos de comunicación. Asimismo generamos nuestras propias creaciones e investigaciones periodísticas para el servicio de los lectores.

Sugerimos leer la fuente y ampliar con el link de arriba para acceder al origen de la nota.

 

La muerte del fundador de Mango: la jueza cree que Jonathan Andic mató a su padre por su obsesión con el dinero y...

La jueza que investiga la muerte de Isak Andic (71), fundador de Mango, concluye que hay indicios de que...

Comprueban por primera vez que un medicamento natural puede ser eficaz para vencer la adicción a la cocaína

El trastorno por consumo de cocaína es un grave problema de salud pública y "no se ha demostrado la...

El caso de la esteticista que vio su sello en certificados truchos y destapó el escándalo de la clínica en La Matanza: robaron datos...

En diciembre de 2025 la secretaria de la médica Romina Neira recibió un llamado de una colega que le...
- Advertisement -spot_img

DEJA UNA RESPUESTA

Por favor ingrese su comentario!
Por favor ingrese su nombre aquí