Trump says Islamic State group leader was killed in a joint US-Nigerian mission

WASHINGTON — US and Nigerian forces killed a leader of the Islamic State group in Nigeria in a mission carried out Friday, US President donald trump he said.

Trump announced the joint operation in Africa’s most populous country in a late-night social media post that offered few details. He said Abu Bakr al-Mainuki was second in command of the Islamic State group globally and “thought he could hide in Africa, but little did he know we had sources who kept us informed on what he was doing.”

Al-Mainuki was viewed as the key figure in IS organizing and finance, and had been plotting attacks against the United States and its interests, according to an official who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to share sensitive information.

Nigerian President Bola Tinubu confirmed the operation and said Al-Mainuki was killed alongside “several of his lieutenants, during a strike on his compound in the Lake Chad Basin.»

Born in Nigeria’s Borno province in 1982, al-Mainuki took the helm of the IS branch in West Africa after the group’s previous leader in the region, Mamman Nur, was killed in 2018, according to the Counter Extremism Project, which tracks militant groups.

Al-Mainuki was based in the Sahel area, the monitoring group said, adding that it is believed that he fought in Libya when IS was active in the North African nation more than a decade ago. He was sanctioned by the US in 2023.

Trump, in his social media announcement, said Al-Mainuki was “second in command globally,” hiding in Africa, a claim that analysts say is off the mark.

They say Al-Mainuki was the deputy to Abu Musab al-Barnawi, the leader of the Islamic State West African Province who was reported to have died in 2021. He is regarded as one of the central proponents of the formation of ISWAP after its split with Boko Haram in 2016.

“If confirmed, the killing of Al-Mainuki is huge because this is the first time a security agency has killed someone this high in the ranking of ISWAP,” Malik Samuel, a senior researcher at Good Governance Africa who specializes in insurgent groups in Nigeria, said.

“The potential to cause chaos within the group is also there because the operation must have been carried out in the heart of ISWAP’s fortified base, which is very difficult to access.”

trump in December directed US forces to launch strikes against the Islamic State group in Nigeria, although he has released little detail then about the impact.

Popular Reads

The Nigerian military said the operation was a result of its “recently formed US-Nigeria partnership and intelligence sharing efforts.” Samalia Uba, the military spokesperson, said in a statement that the operation has also “disrupted a violent terrorist network that endangered Nigeria and the broader West African region.”

Nigeria has been battling multiple armed groups, including at least two affiliated with IS, as it has grappled with a multifaceted security crisis. IS affiliates in Africa have emerged as some of the continent’s most active militant groups following the collapse of the IS caliphate in Syria and Iraq in 2017.

The US in February sent troops to the West African nation to help advise his military and in March, the US also deployed drones there after Trump alleged that Christians are being targeted in Nigeria’s security crisis.

The Friday night operation was the latest instance in a string of covert missions abroad that Trump has announced this year, starting with the stunning overnight raid in January to capture and remove Venezuela’s then-leader Nicolás Maduro and whisk him to the US, followed nearly two months later by the launch of strikes that kicked off the war with Iran.

___

Adetayo reported from Lagos, Nigeria. Associated Press writers Konstantin Toropin in Washington and Samy Magdy in Cairo contributed to this report.

Drafting

Fountain: Read original article

Desde Vive multimedio digital de comunicación y webs de ciudades claves de Argentina y el mundo; difundimos y potenciamos autores y otros medios indistintos de comunicación. Asimismo generamos nuestras propias creaciones e investigaciones periodísticas para el servicio de los lectores.

Sugerimos leer la fuente y ampliar con el link de arriba para acceder al origen de la nota.

 

Incidentes tras el escándalo de los certificados truchos en una clínica de La Matanza: «No supieron leer el electro»

Paola Gorosito es la mujer de Damián Navarro, el hombre que este miércoles protagonizó una pelea con trabajadores de...

Nación dice que «814 niños» esperan prótesis bonaerenses para poder ser operados en el Garrahan

El Ministerio de Salud denunció demoras acumuladas desde 2022 en la entrega de prótesis para más de 800 pacientes...

El cuadro robado por los nazis podría exhibirse al público en Buenos Aires

Durante 80 años estuvo oculto. Hasta que apareció colgado en una pared de un chalet en venta en Mar...
- Advertisement -spot_img

DEJA UNA RESPUESTA

Por favor ingrese su comentario!
Por favor ingrese su nombre aquí